Saturday, May 28, 2011

Andice Beatdown!

Bunch of riders rolled the Andice (nearly) century today. Turned out to be 90 miles. Thanks to the Cycling gods it wasn't one rpm longer. Because this was a BEATDOWN. Ortho360 (Stanton and Dustin)

Me, AT, Hoodie, VJ, Stanton, Loaf, Dykes, Scheibs, Marco Rapha (fellow Raphite), Garreth, Yeti, Panozz and another Dentite (Jason). AND, we were supported by two super nice co-workers of Dustin and Stanton. Erika and Stephanie, you are awesome!!

To Andice-
As for the ride, the trip to Andice was eerily easy. The Prince is still en route home from Napa, so I had no power data. We cruised with a tailie all the way up, anxiety building with every crank took us further away from home. I think this impacted the race to the Andice sign, which was won uncontested by Marco Rapha, who was kitted head to socks in the gear of Rapha. He advocates the Rapha Continental Film (link attached). I just watched it. Those guys at Rapha are so tuned in to the spirit of the cyclist. Makes me want to grow a beard, get a steelie, and ride across the country. You should check it out.

http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-continental-the-movie


Return Debrief-
Holy headwinds! What a beatdown of a return trip. Thanks to the Ortho360 team for keeping our collective bacon out of the fire. Stopped at Camp Tejas for lunch. Stephanie and Erika has a carbo load spread that fuelled us up for the work to come. Lot of punctures on the ride. I think 4-5 in all. Lead to a lotta downtime. Almost 2.5 hours of standing time. This was a bummer, as the winds continued to rise (20-30mph in our face) in step with the thermometer (topped 100). Got a sweet rotation going when we got back on Ronald Reagan. Some of us (me included) need some work on how to function in a rotation, so this was a great situation. Took the load off any one individual, but kept us moving. The strain of the ride knocked a few of the guys into the "luxury box," and I don't blame 'em. Sheer brutality out there.

But Rule V had to be respected, and we churned it out. Panozz, Dykes and Marco showed strongest, but a big pack of us was able to hold the pace, in various states of dismay.

Lost Panozz at 360 as he took it down Shoal Creek to his house. Rest of us stayed tight until Riverbend, when some "selection" stretched us out. Stop light got me and Dustin back on Dykes and Marco's wheel, where we stayed the remainder of the sufferfest.

Wow. That hurt. I think I bruised my soul a little bit.



Huge thanks to Dustin, Stanton, Erika and Stephanie. This is a ride I will not soon forget!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suffered today.
I watched that video.
Now, I want to ride some more.

Rip Cord said...

One of the hardest rides I've ever done - wind, heat and pace... over 90 miles (with 4000 feet of climbing thrown in for good measure). A metal tester for sure... ready to go again!!!

Thanks to the Ortho's and their crew - you did a great job.

Marc said...

It was great riding with you guys on what truly was an epic ride (and by epic I mean that it was better to have done than to do). Solid crew, great spirit, fabulous support team (that bitter tridork woman was just jealous), and a little bad luck with the flats and fierce wind, but that just makes for better stories later.

Looking forward to riding with you again.