Saturday, May 7, 2011

Anger Management

The day started out wrong. Alarm went off way to early. Pulled myself outta bed. Got the coffee going. Went out to get the paper. BLAMMO! Wind right in my face. Boo.

Hit the coffee. Read the paper. Highlights of the News Day: Al Qaeda Promises Retaliation for  Taking Out Bin Laden. Shocking.

Time to get dressed. Where's my Rapha bib? Dirty?! WTF? Where's my Black Dough Bib? MIA. WTF2?

Annoyance transformed to Anger.

Fast forward to the starting line. Me, Scheibs, AT, Ticket, Veej. And a co-worker of Veej. We rolled out pretty tamely. Then a fat guy in a Capo Sausage wrap passed me.

Altogether: THE LAST STRAW.

No way was that schlub passing me. Not today. Not ever.

So I went off. And the dough? The Dough was angry today my friends. We turned up some heat and hooked on to the B group. Some serious leg shavers in that bunch. A Rolling Power Bar Commercial. Guy in red kit with S-Works Cross Bike. Buncha other typical cyclist types. Pretty imposing. I didn't care. Screw them. Not about the pace. Not about the impact on the Dough. Not about anything. Just time to GO!

Hammer and Tongs. Like a crucible burns away its unnecessary ingredients, so went the fury. But it took a while. And it took a toll. Lost Veej. And Scheibs. But AT and Hoodie not only hung on, but did some work. Not gonna go into gory details, but posted personal best 20 minute, and 60 and 90 minute power numbers today. Felt so good. Still had some in the tank at the 50 mile mark, but We turned around in Whizzerville (at mile 50), because we were all unable to obtain a bus pass. Shiner Ride Critique: If you are gonna let me ride one way to Shiner, you should take me back to the car. Ridiculous!

On the way back, we collected Veej and Scheibs. Controlled roll on the return 50. Two Hoodie punctures and a train stop were the only bummers of the ride.

Postride, me, AT and Hoodie stopped at Red's Porch for brews. Victory Prima Pils. Excellent choice coach. Smokey Goat was best burger ever. The Dough rode hard today. At one point, a tri-guy says "Dough? I don't see much Dough" Damn skippy.

Garmin stats below. Note 1st half was into the wind. Second half - Tailie!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/84105142

"uhh, that's my wheel"

3 comments:

Vijay said...

The guys set a blistering pace and my mistake for trying to keep up. I payed for it on the ride back.
--Vijay

KARLSCHEIBLE said...

I saw a guy nearly get killed. I was back with the ham and eggers in a double pace line that looked as organized as cockroaches scattering when the lights are turned on. Some dude swings in front of me (I am on the inside) and takes out the guy on the left. They both fly into RT 21 and a truck swerved and just missed running over the dudes head. I mean it was inches!

Texas Rouleur said...

Scheibs, that sounds nasty. Need to stay up front, and keep away from the ham n eggs.