Sunday, April 17, 2011

MS150 Day 2

Saturday night's sleep was pretty good, though a couple of Dough were trading some snores from 2-3am. Given that we had about 10 guys, it was relatively quiet. And Ullrich on BOU were in another conference room (don't ask don't tell), so there was no risk of smoke alerts, if you know what I mean...

Veej and Mauricio roused the troops at 5am. Well almost all of the troops. Somehow, Bergie slept until 5:30am, with people walking around him, the lights on, and coffee on the stove. His homelife must be pretty chaotic. Remind me to talk with JB about that. The Berg needs his beauty rest.

Anyhoo, great spread for Breakfast. Dykes cooked up the pancakes, Ullrich cooked some bacon, and we PASSED on the eggs. The coffee was hot and effective.

We packed up VJ's mystery machine and rogue started once again, this time at 6:45am. A little too late to avoid all of the freddage, but not bad nonetheless. In the group were me, Sean, Bergie, Ullrich, Craig, VJ, Dykes, Stanton, Frank, Mauricio/Mauricio Sr and last/not least BOU. When we got on the course, BOU and the Mauricio's formed a gruppetto coalition, dropped back and were not spotted again.

Frank almost got run over early by a rental mobile home, which would have been ironic, but not funny.

About 30 minutes in, the pace jumped. Stanton executed a mega-pull to the Park, and we all sat in and enjoyed the ride. Serious work, at least by Stanton, had us at the Park with a 20.9mph average. And I couldn't even feel my fingers. Downside of the first of several Stanton outbursts was the splintering of the group. VJ, Frank, Craig all fell off the back.

Anyone ever see Sean? Rumor was that he made it to Lubbock by 5pm. No stops. 2 water bottles.

The Park was a carnival roller coaster. Fast, fun and dangerous. So many people in there that have no idea how to climb. I guess that was me 5 years ago, so I won't throw too many stones. Dykes and Stanton dropped me and Bergie, and Ullrich slipped into a climbing trance that left him back. But only a bit. Well done German!

At one point I asked Stanton, Dykes and Bergie who was gonna take the polka dots, and Stanton took me seriously. He erupted with a Hoodie-style attack. Dykes immediately responded. Me and Berg gave no chase. We just ground it out. I knew I was in for it when Donnie sez "My inner Mountain Goat wants to make some noise", whereupon he dropped me. Cool.

We regrouped on the next flat and stayed together the remainder of the Park. Saw Stanton lounging at the last rest stop in the Park, but me and Berg were in no mood for the lounge. It was time to work, and we did it. Turns out that the Berg got the Polka Dots. I made the podium. Dykes got third, only because he didn't know we were competing. Stanton is awarded most aggressive rider.

Cruised into Bastrop (Ullrich tracked us down at the Park exit) and ate some soggy sandwiches. It was a beatdown to the end, and I loved it. Dykes lead the flogging, and me and Bergie bridged him after an eternity. All in, another fun, fast day of riding. I did not hang around for victory beers, so the rest of you need to post your highlights!!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/79816807

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good times. My pops and I had a great time riding w/ Lynn today and he enjoyed everyone's company this weekend. We rolled into the taco deli tent around 1:00 or so but didn't hang around too long. The tailee was sweet!

Mike

Bergie said...

Fastest MS150 evah! Best sleep on Saturday night too.

Coach's PedalHard sessions at MJ's are paying off. He and the Aaron's guy pulled strong like bull in our 3-man chase to eventually bridge Dykes. I was having a heck of a time just keeping up as second wheel! Where's the Garmin link? Still pizzed I forgot to re-start mine at the last rest stop.

Rounded out my MS150 experience with a return trip to La Grange on Sunday, co-piloted by the Doc. Not-so-big German had important affairs to attend to so I avoided changing diapers for another couple hours. Good convo on the way to LG and fond memories of the day's pedaling on the return.

Ullrich said...

I have to mention the fastest 15 miles I have ever completed. Upon leaving lunch in Bastrop, three guys rode by us behind the shopping center just before FM 969. One of guys riding a Pinnarello turns to me and says "nice bike" obviously commenting on my Prince. Anyway, we turned onto 969 and they went out in front of us. I think Coach assessed their bikes and their fitness condition and decided to latch on back and see where it went. Maurico has made similar decisions in the past and it has always pushed me to my personal limits. So it was with a little dread in my heart that I accepted the decision and accelerated to engage the train. If you choose not ride roller coasters or other theme park rides due to that little voice of dread, I suggest you tell that little voice to shut the "blank" up! After the first pull by one of the three, I saw coach offer an open space to let him in or he obviously saw the train and could go back to the back. He chose to stay in position thre which ensured his turn again after his two friends took their turn. One after the other they rotated through and each chose to go to position three. I know this was killing Coach. I could almost hear his inner greyhound asking "Please let me lead the pack, please!" So we were going up rollers at 21 and descending them at 26. I remember last with headwind this section seemed to last forever. This year with a tailwind and a train and better fitness it was the wildest ride I have been on!

Finally, the park. I slowly lost contact and then site of the Dough in the forest. I slipped into a trace like state and became one with the bike. I was pretty much alone as there was only the ocasional rider that either passed me or I them. My shifting was poetry. I was playing instrument without even thinking about it. Then I started shedding my trepidation about hills in general. Think of the classic stages of the hero concept. At some point our hero has to face his own demons. As Luke Skywalker went into swamp to face and kill Darth Vader, so I went into the park. But when the front of Darth's helmet is revealed it is Luke's own face he sees. Now I am not ready to be a Jedi, but I may be ready to start actually attacking hills soon.

Vijay is the bomb! The LCRA facility was a great solution to our camping problem. What great ride and whole weekend. Back to training to be ready for Napa.

Ullrich

Texas Rouleur said...

Bergie, I attached a link above for your reference. Thx for the props. What a blast!

Ullrich, you are obviously still feeling the endorphins!

/s/ Coach

monkey said...

I rode with the famous, to me anyways, Dough for a few miles outside of Bastrop. You guys were cooking, I felt good and had a great conversation with one of you. But then my Klein began to complain about the pace, telling me that if I drafted in that brutal wind that she would lose all respect for me. So off on my own I went, watching as you shrunk away in the distance. I did still beat the bags to the finish. My colorful Klein told me she was proud of me for that, in not so many words of course.

Charles Valentine

Texas Rouleur said...

Charles, I would have remembered a Klein conversation in Bastrop, so it wasn't me. Dough, who was klatsching with the Klein?

And Charles, when you went off on your own, did the Dough recede in front, or behind you?

Ullrich said...

Charles was speaking to Stanton who was right behind me. I heard them talking and thought...."What the ----? Someone has heard of us? Someone actually comes to our blog spot?" right about that time the train sped up and I had to think about riding again.

Ullrich

monkey said...

Ulrich is correct, the pace increased. Riding beside the train and talking became somewhat challenging. The guy behind Stanton was nice enough to allow me in, I hung on for a few miles and the rest is in the previous post.

@Texas Rouleur The Dough receded in front... The Klien is still giving me the stink eye for that.

Texas Rouleur said...

Charles, keep turning those pedals!