Saturday, April 9, 2011

Wind Blows, Coach Goes

Morning soccer dropped me from the peloton before the first turn of the pedal.

Not sure who rolled this morning (looking for a debrief), but it was just me, the sun, the wind and the full Aussie, starting at 11am. From the casa, the first 20 miles were all downwind. Intoxicated by the God-aided acceleration, I pushed it a little too hard early. Go figure. Averaged 21.2 from start to the turn at Anderson Mill and Balcones. What a blast!

Then work began. With the wind, I still have the Prince in a mullet (Business in the front - Mavic ES, Party in the Back - Edge 68). It was the right call, as I was stone-cold cranking just to stand still.

Spicewood was great (Trees gave shade and a little wind shelter), but slower than I have ever rode it.

Left at 360 was awesome (thanks La Nina!). First stop was at the C-Store at Mesa and Steck.

Shoal Creek was work. Was definitely missing the peloton. The Ticket's wheel woulda been perfect. Hell, I woulda settled for the Wulf (does he still live in Austin?).

Second stop was at a Girl Scout Lemonade stand in Westlake (Walsh Tarlton and Old Bee Caves). Those Girl Scouts know how to attack a market. I ordered up an Arnold Palmer, cuz after all, it's Masters Weekend, and a straight Lemonade. It was Puckering good.

By the time I hit Bee Cave, no other cyclists were on the road. HOT and WINDY. Think Giselle Bundchen after a big bean burrito. To say I limped home would be appropriate.

No comments: