Saturday, December 18, 2010

Johnson City Loop

Ok, first off. Thanks to the Dough for raining me with adoration. I really love riding with you knuckleheads, and am really thankful to have such a great crew of friends. Your generosity really humbles me. So thanks fellas!!

So now to the roll.

Me, Panozz, Hoodie, AT, VJ, Yeti and Malo met at 290 and Fitzhugh this am. At 8am, the temp was around 30. Ridonkulous. So we called an audible and drove to the Texaco at Fitzhugh and 12, converting our ride to a 55 miler, and giving us about 20 minutes of sunrise to warm up the Hill Country.

We spun it up down Fitzhugh, and warmed up about 30 minutes down the road. For those of you that have done Fitzhugh, it was typical. Which means awesome. Great googly moogly, Panozzo is strong. He bolted about 10 miles shy of JC, and I tried to hang on. I entered my threshold at some point early on, then blacked out. I came to with Mauricio sidling away from me on hill4, post-break.

We regrouped (sans Veej) at the JC Exxon. Lady at the counter was her usual self. AT buys a can of chilled starbux. As he pays, she sings "Don't you wish your coffee was hot like me!" Then Hoodie sidles up. She sings "I`m a big baller you a little smaller, step up to my level you need to grow a little taller.*" A true renaissance talent.

HERE IS WHERE THE REAL RIDE STARTS:
1. The Sacrifice - we rode 4 miles on 281. It sucked about as bad as you can imagine.

2. The Journey - We turned on Cypress Mill (Blanco County Road 301). The 10 miles on Cypress Mill were phenomenal. Small roads, bear skat, wolf skat, wild cows, Sweet rollers. (see pic below). I really thought this would be the highlight of the ride.

3.  The Money Shot - 301 turned onto Hamilton Pool (962). after about 5 miles, we hit the absolutely smoothest stretch of road imaginable. This was good. At Mile47, we hit a low water crossing, then perhaps the best climb in the state of Texas. It came with a steep-ass pitch, a switchback, and the absolute most kick-butt view imaginable from the top.
Malo rode like a vet, hanging tough the whole way. As I already mentioned, Panozz transcends Dough comparisons. AT totally gutted it out. Yeti was fresh on his first post-hibernation ride. Hoodie had a little rough patch, attributable to a cleat adjustment.

CONCLUSION: This ride is a keeper.

Happy Holidays Dough!!

*Nicki Minaj – Check It Out Lyrics

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/60017198
http://www.photoshop.com/users/doughboys/assets/f942b6a09d8448c484da9f737a4a02f2

No comments: