Monday, October 17, 2011

Livestrong!

In our last big supported ride of the season, the Dough joined forces with Malo's Team Alden and Team AV/PedalHard to punch cancer in the face at the Livestrong Challenge. Dough roster included:

  • Chuckie G
  • Dan K
  • Tim K
  • Mauricio
  • Malo
  • Scheibs (on a sweet ProjectOne!)
  • Yeti
  • Kevin "Abraham" Lincoln
  • Hoodie
  • Ullrich
  • Garreth
  • New Recruit RJ
  • Tyler
  • Me
Also on the ride were Honorary Dough:
  • Brant aka "Magnum"
  • Colton "I Bet You Wish You Could Jar This"
  • Stephan the Cowboy
  • Paige
  • KL - aka the Coach
  • Lance - (who is always welcome at group rides, but has recently been too busy not realizing we exist)
Conditions were brutal for the ride. Brutal, if you prefer mud and rain and wind to perfection. Because it was perfect. Morning mist made the infield a little grimy, but Rey would scoff even at that. Let's face it, Rey would scoff at pretty much everything we do. But we love him anyway.

Back to the ride. Weather was perfect. We (Me, Ullrich, Hoodie, Tyler, Mauricio, Dan K, Garreth, RJ)chose the 90 mile loop, because we look for value in our entry fees. The pain/dollar ratio must be maximized, right? The remainder of the crew did shorter versions. Some for altruistic reasons (Yeti volunteering as a wrench), some for fitness (Tim is falling apart), some were just smarter (Malo's lowT has freed his brain from the rigeur of Rule#5). Their stories were not witnessed by me. However, the wonder of Facebook brings you these snippets:

Yeti's Update-
what a great event at LiveStrong today! Road well, and Kim and cousin Michael came out around noon for us to volunteer at the bike room....awesome stuff.

Malos Update-
Friend Karl  and I rode the 60 miler today at Livestrong Austin. Unbelievably beautiful day, perfect riding conditions. Happy to report I logged my fasted time ever averaging over 17 mph over the course. Shed many tears along the way - a large group wore jerseys with the "InMemoryOfAlden.com" logo (in pink - thanks JT) and I pretty much cried each time I saw one. Good day.



Colton's Update-
About to head out on the Livestrong Challenge with Team Pedal Hard! — with Magnum and 3 others

(coach and the CEO)

90 Milers-
Our first 30 miles were at somewhere between recovery and leisure pace. As far as charity rides go, I don't think I have ever been so controlled at the start. For this I blame two things. One, there were a million wingnuts in the pelo, and I was genuinely fearing for my safety. So I calmly let them pass me (a female bowling ball on wheels rolled past at one point, making me wonder if the laws of physics had been violated). It was great to just spin and shoot the sh$$t with the guys. We were in a PH paceline, led by KL and Colton. This is the second reason I controlled myself. If those guys were spinning easy, I would have looked like a jackass going off the front. Leave that to the Independent Bank squad. And those guys in the leopard skin kits. Not a good look fellas. Not good.

Despite the leadership, we somehow got separated from our parental supervision. I blame Hoodie. Mostly because I just want to. It was probably my fault. But, I am pretty good about forgiveness, particularly when it involves me as the perp. So, let's just let bygones go, and say we got carried away from mile 30 to mile 60.

In that timeframe, we hit some good hills and grabbed the wheel of some actual cyclists. Garreth and a 787 guy pulled the group apart on the hills between rest stops 5 and 6 (I think), where we gained some substantial elevation and averaged about 20.5mph. Some bad drivers on the road in that stretch. Tyler was clipped by a Truck's mirror, but able to stay up. He's that good ladies and gents. I guess the truck's owner loves cancer. What a douche.

After the fracas, we regrouped and took a leisurely spin from stop 6 to the finish, saying hello to the ever pleasant Shantelle and Annalisa at the final rest stop, and enjoying the Hill Country drought season.

At the finish I was treated to a Gatorade shower from Mauricio. Thanks dude.

You know you're thirsty when a Michelob Ultra tastes good. And it did post-ride. Some really good tacos as well. Abbreviated celebration, but fun nonetheless.

Great Ride fellas/Paige!

No comments: