Sunday, February 13, 2011

And then there were two....

Has winter finally fired her last shot at the Dough? I don't know but today the group at muster time was just two cyclist. Mid-week training, racing, and answering a Higher calling were all contributors to today's motley duo. Just me and the Silencer (Sean) at the start. Old school Dam Loop was just what we needed.

After leaving Lola's, we made it down the first hill after Barton Creek and as we climbed the next hill I thought a heard a child's bicycle bell. Could it be? Yes it was Bergmano coming up on my wheel! He had reeled us in after he saw us leave Lola's. And then there were three..... Oh great, I thought. Coach tenderized me yesterday with 45 miles and a good training pace line. Now I have the Silencer who is strong like bull and Bergmano.....well if you ridden with him, you know.

Head wind out Bee Cave was bearable, tailwind on 620 was WAY too good. I led a downhill downwind run along 620. (When you're old and rotund you have to take what the route gives you!) At one point, I was fully upright on the bars with the spinnaker raised doing 31 mph! Of course you all know we had to pay the fiddler for that tailwind.

Quick stop at Walgreen's and through River Place brought us down to 2222 and then back to 360. OUCH. As we turned into what felt like a wind tunnel test, I tried to collect myself and focus on a rhythm with the pedals. The bridge was a little squirrely as you had to pedal hard to go downhill! Six miles of pain later, we made it back to the cars and some coffee. All in all a great ride. The kind that you dread starting, but once you've completed it you are glad you got out of bed.

One last thing. Both days this weekend I heard birds chirping. Saturday, the first bird said to me..."Don't try to stay on Coach's wheel right now, you are a long way from home. BTW, Spring is coming!" Today the bird just said...."Lighten your heart, Spring is coming!" So hopefully more of the Dough will come out of hibernation next weekend.

Ullrich

2 comments:

Texas Rouleur said...

Wish I could have joined you. Pulled an old school dam loop with Hood and Cracker in the afternoon. Great company, great temps. Not great wind.

Bergamo said...

"Six miles of pain later, we made it back to the cars and some coffee." And I had 14 more to go before I could relax. A long 60 miles for me today but just what I needed after a social cruise on Sat. Sean is indeed strong like bull. Looking forward to rejoining the Saturday peloton very soon!