Saturday, September 15, 2012

Going to California with an aching in my heart

Dropping your first child at college can be tough! I guess going to San Luis Obispo did make it a bit easier. What a beautiful college town. People there are so laid back and easy breezy. I went to rent a bike for the four days and all the shop had was a 57cm. I mentioned to the wrench that I usually ride a 56cm to which he responded, "Hey man, why don't you just take my bike?" Sweet. Oh yeah, it was carbon and probably 5 pounds lighter than the aluminium tank they use for rentals. Found a good "out & back" route on Strava and headed out toward High Mountain Road. Greeted with this on the way out. This is going to be good. Mountains and vineyards.



Later I had a nice climb up to a reservoir. The road wound around the edge of the lake and this was pretty much my view in this section


Around each corner there seemed to be a nicer view or something unexpected. This next shot was me emerging from a canopy of large oaks over the top of a hill and into the next valley stretch.


Finally from Day One, there was this:

Day Two:

I did the same route but cut it short for two reasons. First I had a thirty minute flat. Yes Main Event, even though I have improved, I screwed up and did not make sure the valve was all of the way through the carbon rims. Did I mention that I had carbon rims too? Second, I had to stop for a conference call, Even though I'm not a CEO (yet), I am still VERY important. So, I took the call CALI style.

So, here's what I was greeted with for my 9:00 am start. Can you see the Hotel California in the center on the hill?


Here's a shot of my conference room complete with two tastings of a very bold Pinot


Got back on my bike a rode the last ten miles back to the B&B. Guys, I have decided that there are so many great places to ride our bikes. We have to plan more trips, bring the wives and ride like there is no tomorrow. Of course, I loved Cal Poly. What's not to love?

No comments: