Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday Recovery - - Prayers for Verter Ginestra

Cycling Accident on 360
Horrific tragedy yesterday. Verter Ginestra (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/verter-ginestra/1/975/21b), a 54-year old cyclist was killed by an 85-year old driver on 360 right by Westlake High School. I had never met Mr Ginestra, but in looking at his linkedin profile, he appeared to be a perfect candidate for our club. Middle aged cyclist, engineer/business guy. Someone also mentioned that he lived in the Homestead, which is very near us. Tragic. I am really shocked that this happened. That could have been any of us. We ride that route frequently. Ullrich, Hoodie and Veej rode it yesterday, just hours before the accident.  I think Anthony was hit in that area as well.  It may be time to revisit driving privileges past the age of 70. Like, requiring an eye test every two years or something. Prayers go out to Verter Ginestra and his family. Cycling safety needs to improve in this city. So many people out there on bikes. What can we do? 


http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/statesman/obituary.aspx?n=verter-ginestra-simoncelli&pid=157410884


Sunday Ride Notes-
Went Hans Solo Sunday for an easy effort recovery roll. Took two days off on coach's orders, and today's ride indicates that my body rejects days off. The heart rate was absurdly high for the low effort. Tapering is a myth. For full disclosure, I ate a big cheeseburger yesterday, and drank some great Tobin James "fat boy" Zin as well. So maybe I wasn't as hydrated as I shoulda been. 


Punctured on 360. No indication of a problem on the outside of the tyre. However, on the INSIDE of the tyre, I found an ENTIRE staple. Case closed Sherlock, I found the flat tyre perp.


Ran up on Guz on the way down Rob Roy Hill. He was futzing with bar tape. He eventually caught me, as he was doing some superhuman 3x20 intervals. Guz, you are strong like bull. And light like feather. I predict you will rain pain on the pelo in Corsicana!



No comments: